Saturday, April 3, 2010

The Word's Most Expensive Short Story

I have just read "Last Season's Man," a short story by New Zealand's CK Stead. It is a very beautiful short story. It combines the best in Anton Chekhov (The Lady With a Dog) and JM Coetzee (Disgrace) while still shaping out something unique that makes CK Stead CK Stead, a writer distinct from Chekhov and Coetzee, a master of the art, a creative genius who is great at both fiction and poetry.

I must confess I was, at first, a little confused by the Point of View in the story. I also thought the fact that Mario Ivanda actually marries Vesna in the end takes out a bit of the sting in the story, but further re-reading shows that this, in fact, completes the beauty. It is an admirable work of art, very, very admirable.

1 comment:

Percy said...

Do you have a link to the short story itself? I surely would love to read that. If you do, post it on my facebook wall (www.facebook.com/percy.chikwela) or email to percy2920@ovi.com.