Sunday, September 21, 2008

Hello everyone!

Times are changing, so why not join the bandwagon of bloggers! Have been considering this sort of thing all the time, but for some reasons I have been developing cold feet.

My name is Stanley Onjezani Kenani, a Malawian writer who lives and works in Botswana as an accountant. I am a columnist for Malawi News. I also write using a pseudo in a certain Malawian newspaper.

I have been writing for a while, but success is hard to come by. I was lucky in 2007 that in a short story competition whose contestants were from the Southern African Development Community (SADC), my short story, For Honour, was named on third position by Nobel Laureate JM Coetzee. Ahead of me were two brilliant writers, Petina Gappah from Zimbabwe and Henrietta Rose-Innes from South Africa. In 2008, the same short story saw me shortlisted for the prestigious Caine Prize which was deservedly won by Henrietta Rose-Innes.

This blog is about my writing life. The two columns in the Malawian newspapers are general comments on anything that comes my way: politics, social issues, economics, anything! But this blog is strictly about writing.

Hope you keep me company!

1 comment:

Michael Phoya said...

We'll keep you company indeed.